Medication Management Center
Located on each Avita Hospital campus is a pharmacist-led Medication Management Center (MMC). Each MMC is staffed with a clinical pharmacist that sees patients by referral and/or appointment for various clinical services such as anticoagulation management (aka Coumadin Clinic and other blood thinners), tobacco cessation counseling and management, and medication therapy management (MTM).
Anticoagulation & Thrombosis Management Clinic
Our Anticoagulation and Thrombosis Management clinic addresses the diagnosis and management of blood clot conditions. Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot that develops in a vein deep in the body. Approximately 300,000 to 600,000 Americans are affected by DVT or PE (pulmonary embolism) each year. These conditions are the third-most-common diagnoses after a heart attack and stroke. DVT can be very serious because blood clots can break loose, travel through your bloodstream and lodge in your lungs, blocking blood flow (PE).
Vascular Medicine physician Dr. Michael Davis, who directs the Anticoagulation and Thrombosis Management clinic, explains, “We have been able to help numerous patients with DVTs and manage their care from genetic blood clot disorders to choosing the right anticoagulation regimen.” Ask your cardiovascular provider for a referral to our Anticoagulation and Thrombosis Management clinic.
Tobacco Cessation Services
Save Your Lungs, Save Your Life.
Quitting smoking can be difficult, but you can increase your chances of success with professional help. Avita Health System’s Tobacco Quit Program, within the Medication Management Center, is comprised of a dedicated team of pharmacists who are ready to guide you on your journey to a tobacco free life. Using the latest medications and techniques, our team can help you kick the habit for good with a personalized quit plan. We will support you, answer your questions, and provide advice every step of the way.
Patients are eligible for this program through a referral from a physician and are seen during one-on-one, private sessions with a clinical pharmacist trained in tobacco cessation counseling and medication management. Each patient is walked through the process of quitting nicotine by developing a patient specific plan that incorporates an overall quit strategy, resource sharing, counseling, and medication therapy as necessary. Each patient’s plan for quitting then continues on with the pharmacist for up to six follow up visits designed to monitor progress, adjust medications, and provide continued support and guidance for sustained success in quitting.
To schedule an appointment call one of the locations listed below.
Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking
- Heart rate and blood pressure lowers.
- The carbon monoxide level in blood returns to normal.
- Circulation improves and lung function increases.
- Coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
- Risk of heart disease drops dramatically.
- Risk of lung, mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder cancer is cut in half.
- 7 in 10 adult smokers want to quit.
- More than half of adult smokers have tried to quit smoking.
- Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the US.
- 1 in 5 deaths contributed to smoking results from secondhand smoke exposure.
- More than 16 million Americans are living with a disease caused by smoking.
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable death, inducing a variety of diseases, such as cancer, heart disease, stroke, lung diseases, diabetes, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
“Smoking is a killer with many people suffering from diseases such as COPD, cancer, stroke, and heart failure. The impact of smoking cessation for both the individual and our society as a whole is tremendous and undeniable.” – Dr. G. Amurao
Medication Therapy Management (MTM)
Medication Therapy Management is a service that your pharmacist provides to help improve treatment outcomes for patients by optimizing the safe and effective use of medications. MTM promotes collaboration among patients, pharmacists, physicians, and other healthcare providers.
Along with your other healthcare providers, your pharmacist will review each of your medications and make recommendations that ensure your medication is appropriate and effective in achieving treatment goals, maintaining medication safety, as well as being convenient to your lifestyle. Your pharmacist will help you evaluate and manage your medication to ensure optimal safety and performance.
Avita’s Medication Management Centers are now offering Telehealth appointments to their patients. To be eligible for a Telehealth appointment, you must call the Medication Management Center at one of the numbers listed below and be approved for Telehealth by the pharmacist. Your Telehealth appointment will be scheduled by pharmacy staff based on availability. When it is time for your appointment, you will be provided a Meeting ID and password to access your Telehealth appointment. You must use video and either a phone call or computer audio to join a Telehealth appointment. In order to use this service, please follow the instructions below or call the office at one of the numbers below for assistance.
Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings app on your mobile device or visit the Zoom website and then follow the instructions for your device below.
- Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings app from Google Play or the App Store via the links above.
- Launch the app and click “Join a Meeting”. Enter the Meeting ID you were given and your name, and then click “Join”.
- Enter the password you were provided. You may be asked to allow permissions to access your microphone and camera. Make sure to allow permission.
- On the video preview screen, click “Join with Video”.
- Once connected press “Call via Device Audio” on Android or \”Call using Internet Audio\” on iPhone.
- Click the Zoom logo above to visit the Zoom website.
- When the page loads, enter the Meeting ID you were given and click “Join”.
- On the next screen the Zoom software should automatically download. If it does not start automatically, click the link that says “download here”. Open the file that was downloaded once it is finished.
- When the software opens, enter your name and the password you were provided. Then, click “Join Meeting”.
- Next, ensure your webcam is working properly in the preview and click “Join with Video”.
- Once connected, click “Join with Computer Audio”.