Fish Tacos with Flavorful Strawberry-Pineapple Salsa
Makes 4 servings
1 ½ tsp salt-free chili powder
¼ tsp ground cumin
3/8 tsp salt, divided
¼ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp paprika
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 (1 lb.) salmon fillet*
1 ¼ cups diced fresh strawberries
1 ¼ cups diced fresh pineapple
1 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
½ small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
¼ tsp lime zest
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 ½ tsp olive oil
4 (8”) whole wheat tortillas
1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, ¼ tsp salt, oregano, paprika, red pepper flakes, and black pepper in a bowl. Place salmon on prepared baking sheet and run with spice mixture.
- Bake 13-17 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the center reaches 140°. Remove from oven. Cool slightly and flake with a fork into chunks.
- While salmon bakes, combine strawberries, pineapple, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño pepper, lime zest, lime juice, olive oil, and 1/8 tsp salt in a medium bowl.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spread mashed avocado evenly over tortillas. Top evenly with salmon. Divide salsa into four servings. Top each taco with desired amount of salsa and serve remaining salsa on the side.
*Note: The USDA recommends cooking salmon to an internal temperature of 145° degrees F. After removing the salmon from the oven, it will continue to cook and the temperature should reach the recommended 145° F. Cooking time varies depending on the salmon fillet’s thickness.
Nutrient Analysis per Serving
Calories: 420; Total fat: 16 g; Sat fat: 3.5 g; Sodium: 450 mg; Total carbohydrate: 39 g; Dietary fiber: 5 g; Sugars: 10 g; Protein: 29 g
To learn more about our services or view our hospital menus, visit our Food & Nutritional Services page.
If you’d like to download our recipe, just click the image below!Tags: eating well, Healthy Eating, Healthy Lunch, Strawberries