What is an Audiologist?
Audiologist: (Au-di-ol-o-gist): Audiologists are the primary healthcare professionals who evaluate, diagnose, treat and manage hearing loss and balance disorder in adults and children. Audiologists treat all ages and types of hearing loss.
- Audiologists treat all ages and types of hearing loss: the elderly, adults, teens, children and infants.
- Almost all types of hearing loss are treatable by an audiologist.
- Most hearing loss that is caused by nerve damage can be treated by an audiologist with hearing aids, assistive listening devices, and hearing rehabilitation.
About hearing loss
The majority of people develop hearing loss as a result of getting older, but there are other factors that can contribute to hearing loss at any age. Excessive noise exposure is the number one reason for hearing loss. Work settings and recreational activities can be noisy and damaging to the inner ear. Hearing loss encompasses more than a decrease in a person’s ability to detect sound. While the decrease in sensory input is a common grievance for our patients, they may also experience:
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Poor understanding of conversations
- Single-sided hearing loss
Ask yourself these questions
- Do I often ask others "What?" or to repeat themselves?
- Do I turn the TV or radio louder than what is comfortable for others?
- Do I have trouble understanding speech in restaurants?
- Do I have difficulty understanding soft voices, especially those of women and children?
- If you suspect you have some hearing loss, contact an audiologist for a professional hearing assessment. When hearing loss goes untreated, your overall quality of life could suffer. You may miss the sounds of songbirds, having everyday conversations and watching TV. Your hearing loss also affects family, friends, and co-workers who may struggle to communicate with you.
Diagnostic evaluations include:
- Otoacoustic Emission Detection (cochlear function)
- Tympanometry (ear drum and middle ear function)
- Speech discrimination, to determine the patient’s ability to meaningfully use speech information.
- Pure tone testing, to determine the softest sounds a patient can hear.
- Full service hearing aid maintenance and repair all makes and models.
We also provide
- Ear wax management and removal.
- Newborn hearing screenings and re-screenings.
- Aural rehabilitation counseling and strategies
- Custom ear plugs for noise reduction, swimming, and hearing aids.
- Hearing aid evaluation, selection and service with competitive hearing aid pricing, including a 30-day trial period.
- The latest in digital hearing aid technologies from a wide variety of manufacturers.
- Ear mold impressions for hearing aids, swim plugs, noise protection, and musician plugs.
- Hearing aid batteries and supplies.
- Bone anchored hearing aid consultation and servicing.
- Cochlear implant mapping (Cochlear©).
To serve people with hearing loss through testing, consulting, and, if necessary, hearing instruments and assistive listening devices, with a goal of 100% patient satisfaction and increased quality of life.
- To deliver high quality, professional hearing healthcare at a reasonable cost.
- To respect all the people who make our practice possible, including employees, suppliers, and above all, patients.
“Hearing aids don’t work.”
Technology is rapidly developing; today’s hearing aids are superior to those of 5-10 years ago! There are also many variables that have an effect on the success of hearing aids. The success of the instrument depends on your lifestyle, the severity of your hearing loss, and your individual preferences. Avita Audiology will help you every step of the way to choose what will work best for you.
“I'm too young for hearing aids.”
This is not true. Did you know 65% of individuals with hearing loss are below retirement age? There are approximately six million people in the United States between the ages of 18 and 44 with hearing loss.
“Hearing aids are too expensive of a solution”
Hearing aids today not only come in an array of styles and sizes, but also with several levels of technology and many affordable options. Avita Audiology is happy to review pricing ranges to ensure your lifestyle, as well as budgetary needs, are satisfied. We gladly offer payment plans through HELP Financial.